Friday, January 14, 2011

FRIDAY

I returned from my holiday yesterday. After about a month away from home, everything feels unfamiliar and weird but its pretty cool to be back. I spent the day playing flash games and watching movies, which I haven't done for a while so that was good.

I really felt that I learnt a lot of things while on holiday. Seeing the lives of people in a place so different to home can make you aware of the forces that drive your own life. People behave very differently living in places that we would consider to be shitholes. I'm talking mostly about the people I met or saw while in Malaysia.

Also, I learnt that I actually don't like long plane flights. I always thought flying was cool because you'd have that little TV thing to watch during the trip. Well, this time I flew on a 8 hour night time flight from Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast and it was probably the shittiest flight I've ever had. There was no little TV thing because we flew on AirAsia, which also has shitty seats, making sleep very difficult. On the plus side, all the flight attendants were very attractive. One of them looked a bit like Olivia Wilde which is cool because she's really hot.

My holiday was spent in three different places: Sibu, Kuala Lumpur and Gold Coast.

I pretty much said all I have to say about Sibu in my last post. Here's a picture of Malaysia's uncovered drains which I like to mention so much.



They're actually pretty dangerous because some of them are like 4 metres deep and right next to a walkway without a fence. Also, we went to this really cheap restaurant ($5 for lobster) which served crab with a hammer to crack the shell. These are like, full sized hammers straight out of a construction site or something.

I mentioned before the Malaysian traffic is retarded. Apparently my uncle pays the police an annual bribe so his family don't have to obey traffic laws in Sibu. They get to do stuff like triple parking and going twice the speed limit.

There's not much to do in Sibu. In the five days there, I managed to get three quarters of the way through Jane Eyre (which I really enjoyed, by the way) and almost finished the entire 4th season of Dexter.

Kuala Lumpur was more interesting than Sibu. Being the capital of Malaysia, there's a lot more stuff to do there. Mainly it was shopping though. For some reason, KL is full of shopping centres. According to Wikipedia there's 66 shopping centres in the city alone. They're all really big and have crazy decorations like giant Christmas trees and castles. Some of them have theme parks and market themselves as 'Entertainment Centres'. Everything's really cheap too so we bought a lot of stuff. Also we spent a night at this resort. Pretty nice place. There was a lot of spare time in Kuala Lumpur too so I managed to finish reading Jane Eyre and get halfway throught The Shipping News.

Luckily the Queensland floods didn't affect the Gold Coast but it was raining the whole time we were there. We went to the theme parks, where I sadly realised I didn't enjoy the shows as much as I did as a kid. Movie World was still cool though and the rides were pretty fun. The weather managed to clear up on the last day and we got to go on the beach.

So that's my holiday's so far. I plan to spend the rest of it watching my amazingly long list of movies as well as season five of Dexter.

No comments: