Wednesday, August 18, 2010

WEDNESDAY: Gender-related Issues

It's pretty well-established fact that guys can make a bit of a mess in the bathroom. If it's 2am in the morning and you've woken up and need to piss, then you'd be forgiven for forgetting to turn the lights on so you can actually aim the nozzle. However, any decent guy who misses the mark will be considerate enough to wipe that shit up (or in this case piss).

Despite this, however, I believe that it is not the guy who leaves a bigger mess in the bathroom. What I have recently observed (and thought about enough to post here) is that girls leave a lot of hair in the bathroom. Perhaps I'm generalising here but I share a bathroom with my sister and at certain times of the day there's strands of long, silky hair lying all over the place. Hair in the sink, hair in the shower, hair on the tiles. Hair, hair, hair.

I know my sister reads this blog but I hope she does it infrequently enough to miss this little complaint.

While we're on the topic of gender differences, I'll segue to an article I read on the weekend. It was an article referencing another article by Sheila Jeffreys about female beauty practises, in particular waxing or shaving of body hair.

'The suggestion that women will not acquire male partners without shaving resembles the reasons given for the carrying out of harmful beauty practises in other cultures, such as female genital mutilation and the reconstructing of hymens; that is, girls have no chance of marrying without them. While women shaving their legs or getting a Brazilian is nowhere near as invasive as those practises, some would argue their mute enforcement in the West has just as profound effect.'

It's quite true that body hair is a big deal. I'm sure most guys reading this would find it hard to be attracted to a girl with hairy legs. But there's a really good point here. The expectation that girls should be hairless is theoretically as bad as expecting they should have bound feet or long necks. These are standards of beauty that we make up and have no real evolutionary basis.

So why did I share this article? I'm actually a big supporter of all this gender equality stuff. I just thought this was particularly interesting. Also, I haven't watched many movies lately because I've been busy working and shiz so my usual blog topics aren't available and I've been reduced to writing about toilet humour and things of substance.

No comments: