Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Toy Story 3

Spiderman 3. At World's End. The Matrix Revolutions. The Never Ending Story Part III. The Godfather Part III. These are all examples of how a movie franchise which started out pretty good, was as good or better in the second, and then took a shitdive. Toy Story 3 is not one of those movies. Maybe its the fact that I actually understand the storyline now because I'm older or I've just watched 1 & 2 too many times, but i think that Toy Story 3 is the best out of the three.

Andy, now in college, doesn't play with his toys anymore and when he needs to clean out his room he decides to keep them in the attic and due to some mistakes they get sent to a daycare centre instead. This sounds incredibly cheesy, and when I first read the synopsis I thought "Ok here's the first bad Pixar movie" (it's also what I thought when i read the synopsis for Up). But when you actually watch it, it just feels right. Seriously, I could give you the entire plot now and what you think now would be completely different to what you think when you see it.

I think the success of Pixar films really depends on relating to the characters. In "Finding Nemo" you could relate to Nemo, in "Up" you could relate to Russell. In Toy Story 3, I think almost everyone can relate to Andy, because I think now we've mostly outgrown our old toys (safe). Everybody except Tim. He'd probably relate more to Lotso. You'll see.

Note: Look out for the dirty joke near the end.

Rating: 5/5

That is all

1 comment:

James said...

So are completely on the mark with that list; add X-Men: The Last Stand, Shrek 3, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, and Jurassic Park III to the list as well. That being said there've been some movies that peaked, or at least maintained their quality, at the third film such as LOTR: The Return of the King, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future 3 etc.

Thanks for the review; looking forward to watching it later on.