Saturday, July 10, 2010

SATURDAY (OMG 200th POST)

In reply to Tim's post, I thought I'd also write something more thoughtful and of substantial length than my usual crap about movies or flash games. I actually had to write this on pen and paper before typing this up because I find it more difficult writing something cohesive on the computer. I think it's something to do with the way I get very easily distracted online.

Something I've become aware of is how often now I'm getting asked what I want to do in the future. I usually murmur an "I don't know", though I actually do have a very faint idea. If you asked me two years ago, I probably would have said "Actor!" and looked smug as the asian parents reacted with surprise. Since then I've either become disillusioned or less naive because now that's just a "wouldn't that be cool" thought in the back of my head.

Still, I'd like to do something creative. I can imagine myself as a columnist for a newspaper or magazine. Look at all the crap I'm writing here. I wouldn't think twice about getting paid to do this shit. Or even better- a film critic. Just watch movies and write about them. I'm pretty much doing that for fun already. Though I suspect that job would be harder than it sounds.

It'd be of no surprise to anyone who reads this blog to say I have a great interest in movies. I would seize any career path that would steer me that way, even if it cost me a testicle. Apparently when you lose one, the other works twice as hard.

It's funny I'm writing so much about careers because I found the careers lessons at school to be a complete boring waste of time. (Though I did enjoy work experience.)

A trait that I'm pretty glad I have is that I'm not afraid of failure. It's something I've had to deal with in every aspect of life and I've adopted the attitude that nothing is the final word on anything. That's not to say I don't aim to succeed but it just means missing out on something doesn't feel so bad. Life is full of so many more opportunities and possibilities than we acknowledge. Everyday we wake up and there's an infinite amount of ways our day can occur.

There's so much more I want to say and share about life but I think I'll stop before this sinks into a mess of trite phrases and pseudo-philosophy that you've probably heard already. What I've just shared is a little about my own life which is probably the only thing I can share that you won't hear from anyone else.

Anyway, these holidays are proving to be quite busy for me. The biggest time-sucker is piano because my Amus exams are in two months. I'm trying to really hard to fit in time to watch a movie everyday and take full benefit of Runescape's 7 day membership trial. But almost everything I do, I do by choice so I'm not complaining.

Well that's enough about me. Next post, I'll be returning to my usual boring topics. Fingers crossed that Louie will post something like this next.

No comments: