Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spirited Away

I just finished watching Spirited Away and I thought I'd say what I thought of it while its fresh in my mind.

I sincerely, honestly loved this movie a lot. I don't like to use strong adjectives a lot for no reason but it was a beautiful, mysterious and enchanting movie. There's quite a unique sensation you get when you see a really great fantasy story like this. If I could relate it to any other experience, it would be closest to what I felt while reading the Sandman series. I find it hard to put into words but its the kind of fantasy that refuses to be seen as an allegory or a metaphor for real life but rather touches human emotions in a stranger, more profound way. Always at the end of such an experience I find myself wishing there was more.

What was refreshing too was that the film had a lot of heart, which is something quite rare in the angst-ridden movies I've been watching recently. Miyazaki seems like a really sentimental guy and it comes out really nicely. Also, the art that went into this was great. All the Japanese mythological figures everywhere were really quirky and a whole lot of fun. And I liked the music.


Anyway, I hope to see more Studio Ghibli films soon because this one was great.

And now for something a little different...

I've been thinking lately (okay, someone suggested to me) that I should make another blog dedicated just to posting about movies. The upside is that it might be pretty interesting because then I'd have to try harder to write stuff worth reading and things would get all serious and stuff. The downside is that I would have two blogs and only a wanker would have two blogs. So what I've been thinking is that I'd get many people to contribute and it would be a like a book club sort of thing but with movies. Okay, I know that sounds unbelievably gay but I can think of one or two people who'd be interested. So if you think you're one of these people then tell me in some way or another and maybe this dumb idea will go ahead.


(Oh yeah. Hope the people watching the midnight screening of Harry Potter right now are enjoying it.)

No comments: