Thursday, July 7, 2011

Regular Update

I really feel like posting a lot now even though there are fewer people than ever who read this because of exams.

Recently I've noticed how my movie watching habits have been sharply decreased over time. By that I mean there were really specific moments in my life which dramatically limited my ability to watch movies. Seriously, I think back in Year 9 when I first got broadband and just got introduced to downloading movies I think I watched about every single release for that year plus old movies. Now I can't even keep up with the latest ones. I still haven't seen Rango, Limitless, Paul, The Lincoln Lawyer, Sucker Punch, Source Code and Fast Five. Not too mention a lot of the recent releases that have come out.

Anyway back to movies I HAVE watched, which include Green Hornet (crap), Thor (good) and Adjustment Bureau (really good). It's really the last one I want to focus on because it has the most interesting premise since Minority Report. Basically it's about this guy who falls in love with a girl and vice versa but they're not actually meant to be together. How you may ask? (wow that sounded very douchey) Well there's this grand plan made by this dude and he has these guys all over the world who make sure that everything follows this plan. These guys have powers to help them to make things happen to ensure that everything stays in plan, like telepathically being able to move stuff, perceive your decisions and also change your mind. Seriously watch the movie, or if you don't have time read the first three (and only the first three) paragraphs of the wiki article.

Anyway, this movie really got me thinking if we actually have free will or do we only have the appearance of it. Like we can make decisions on the tiniest details like which pen to use or what clothes to wear but other decisions like your career are already predestined. Seriously there are times in my life where I look back and there were all these decisions that I made that brought me an oppurtunity or prevented me from doing something that I wanted. And plus all the decisions that everyone else has made around me. I wonder if there really are men in hats running around changing people's minds.

This sort of reminds me of the time after I watched the Truman Show and I got a bit paranoid that I was actually trapped in a TV show (btw that bit was actually supposed to be a surprise when the movie first came out) but then I realised that's stupid because if I were in a TV show they would never ever have me watch The Truman Show. Unless they're trying to be ironic. Hmm.... And I also realized that the Truman Syndrome is an actual mental illness and that I could be sent to a mental hospital if I kept my fantasy going. But maybe they just put that there to make me think that? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!!!! And I also realized how incredibly narcissistic it is to assume that my life was interesting enough for it to be the subject of a TV show. So now I've stopped.

That is all.

No comments: