Friday, July 15, 2011

My Neighbour Totoro

I watched 'My Neighbour Totoro' the day before yesterday and I liked it a lot. It's about a father who moves with her daughters into a rural home where they meet strange woodland spirits (ie, Totoro). It was a much more subdued kind of movie than Spirited Away. Instead of a complication (like say, your parents turning into pigs), it builds up a sense of curiousity and wonder until it reaches moments of great magic. Miyazaki is great at creating really sublime moments with his animation and artwork. In particular I thought the tree-raising scene was pretty amazing.

I think that in the (very small) remainder of these holidays, I'll keep watching more Ghibli films. They make me feel really good, as opposed to other movies which just make me feel challenged.

No comments: