Monday, July 18, 2011

Somewhere

I'd like to start off by saying that the idea for a separate film blog where everyone chips in is very good because it would probably lessen the guilt in me having multiple posts when I want to post about multiple movies and/or random posts. Over the holidays I've watched quite a few films but this one is one of the less weird ones I've watched. By that I mean, more people will get this movie than the other movies I watched (I think).



Somewhere is about a movie star Johnny Marco who feels no pleasure in anything even though he has a successful professional life. He also drinks a lot of alcohol, does drugs and a lot of women. One day his 11 year old daughter comes to stay with him after her mother needs to take some time off.

This movie is directed by Sofia Coppola, who you may know from Lost in Translation. Let me start off by saying that this film isn't as good as LIT. I think it just doesn't have the same intimacy as that movie and it isn't as visually as interesting because Tokyo at night is pretty cool. It isn't as funny (although I think this film has the funniest sex scene ever) and the acting isn't as good. Some of the themes and concept are the same and those are equally as interesting (at least for me) here.
On it's own though it is a really good movie. This is sort of like LIT in the sense that there isn't really a plot, things just happen. There's no complication except for the inner conflict Johnny has because he thinks he's nothing. The very end is a bit of a copout and a cliche, but the film still evokes emotion without getting all mushy.
If you thought LIT was boring, this will probably be the same for you (although for all you perverts out there is more sex and nudity in this but obviously done in a tasteful manner). I have a suspicion that even people who did like LIT won't like this as much. I thought it was just fine.

That is all.

No comments: