Friday, December 24, 2010

FRIDAY

I'm using my grandparent's computer in Malaysia now which is pretty cool. I don't feel too well because I've taken four flights in one week (From Auckland-Sydney-Melbourne-Kuala Lumpur-Sibu, had to go to Melbourne to get on the cheaper flight.) For some reason I've become really sensitive to the dry and dust-filled atmosphere inside airplanes. Luckily the humidity in Malaysia is ridiculously high so stepping out of the plane literally felt like plunging into a warm bathtub. I'm mildly jet-lagged too, though I'm having more sleep now than I've had in months.

Anyway, Malaysia's a pretty cool place. I've said this lots but it has a distinct smell because all the drains are left open so there's these big ditches along the roads filled with stagnant water. Malaysian traffic is also pretty ridiculous. We took a taxi from the airport who went at least 40km/h over the speed limit yet we were still getting overtaken. Also, all the roads (even the major motorways) are really uneven from the hot and humid weather and so driving is always an adventure. Today, I also got to see some genuine slums, with real poor people. I would've taken some photos but it didn't feel very appropriate.

Everything here is pretty cheap too. I just saw Tron in cinemas today for $3, though it had Chinese/Malay subtitles. Apart from that, I'm enjoying the exotic surrounds. You can get starfruit here, which I really like as well as fresh coconuts.

I've only been here three days so that's all I have to say. I might put off blogging about Cadet Annual when I get back to Australia because I don't want to use too much of my grandparent's precious 3G data usage. Merry Christmas guys.

No comments: