Thursday, May 20, 2010

THURSDAY: Ideal ways to waste time

Sometimes I go on the computer with the sole purpose of wasting time. I'm sure a lot of people do this. But apart from Facebook, MSN and all that, what are the most effective methods of wasting time? Here's a list:


-Flash games. I think you already knew I'd mention this, but you can't just play any old flash game. You need to feel like you're wasting time while playing. The game has to be so stupid you know that every second you spend on it is completely pointless. Try this game.

-Wikipedia. Depending on your interests, you can spend hours of time reading about stuff on Wikipedia. I waste a lot of time reading articles about food. An interesting article I found recently is the History of McDonald's.

- TV Tropes. This site catalogues devices and tricks used in any sort of media. Whether this be TV shows, movies, books, anime, music or whatever. Here's one of the more interesting articles. (link)

- StumbleUpon. Basically there's a list of topics and you tick the ones you like. You'll then be taken to a random website that will be relevant to your interests. I actually installed the toolbar of this but uninstalled it later because it ate up so much time.

- IMDb. Register for an account then read the message boards of a movie you really like. I can spend an hour reading message boards, even though I have never posted a single thing. If you like movies, a lot of time can also be spent on rogerebert.com. Ebert can be pretty funny when reviewing bad movies. I eagerly anticipate his review for the new Brendan Fraser film, 'Furry Vengeance'.

And that's how I like to waste my time on the internet. I hope anyone who reads this will be inspired to find interesting and creative ways to waste their own time too.

No comments: