Friday, June 17, 2011

Stuff I did in the last two weeks

This exciting blog post will be about all the stuff I've done in the past two weeks. In roughly chronological order:

Shakespeare Festival
Was kind of fun. We were fully unprepared and were practising in the car on the way there. The people there didn't laugh at our jokes as much so it felt kind of awkward. They're still deciding whether or not to let us through to state because (of all things) we went over the time limit. Tim and Louie are hoping we don't get through because the State Festival is on the week before trials.

The festival was at William Clark College which is a pretty well to do private school. All the buildings looked so impressive that we went exploring out of the school. We tried to go into the library but the guy kicked us out because we looked super dodgy as a bunch of asian dudes wearing full black drama clothes. That was pretty awkward.

Exams
Were mostly okay. I found 4U maths really hard and I wasn't very confident about my Physics answers. I was severely lacking in motivation for this round of exams so I feel that I could have tried harder. (Except for English. I tried pretty hard for that because it's pulling me down.)

Minecraft!
I have been developing my floating rock island and it's looking pretty good now.



During my studious studying, I managed to build an okay looking house. I also tried to build a TNT cannon. In Minecraft, a TNT cannon is a structure that uses TNT to propel another block of TNT a very long distance before it blows up. It works because if TNT explodes while in water, it can propel objects but won't destroy blocks. But I kept stuffing up the design and the TNT didn't fall into the water. And when that happens it just destroys everything and you have to start again.

To add to my troubles, I kept falling off the floating platform. While a floating island looks cool and everything, it's pretty annoying to get back into if you fall off.

Watching X-Men: First Class
Okay this is actually the real reason I wrote this post. I watched X-Men with a whole bunch of other guys yesterday and afterwards Alex asked if I was going to write what I thought about it on my blog. So here is my attempt to write a serious review about this movie.

The movie shows the first meeting of Professer X and Magneto and the events that surrounded the revelation of mutants to human society. It's centered around the Cold War, in particular the events surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. Putting everything in a historical context allows for a more complex plot and gives a bit more weight to the action. It makes the movie look more serious than say, X-Men 3 or Thor.

But the effectiveness of the movie is lost to its plot. It weaves around all its characters without finding some kind of focus. The movie should have focused more on Charles and Erik rather than spending so much time going through the other mutants. I suspect that comic-book fans wanting to see all their heroes was behind this decision.

In the end I found the movie to be alright. It is quite well paced and some of the performances are quite charming. The final act plays out nicely. But it needed some kind of emotional edge which could have been brought by perhaps giving more insight into its characters.

No comments: