Saturday, April 2, 2011

127 Hours

Today I watched 127 Hours. Holy crap. I'm sure everybody's heard the true story so I think everyone can safely read on but if you haven't and you don't want to know the ending then SPOILER ALERT!!!

OK when I first heard how the guy had to cut his arm off (before the movie, this was probably ages ago) I thought wow, that guys got guts what would I do in his situation? and thought nothing more of it. And then I watched the movie and it really makes you think about what that guy had to go through.

First of all, how did he manage to survive on 1L of water for like 5 days? That's crazy. Ok he cheated a little bit by drinking his own urine but that also came from that 1L and plus it's not like the urine tasted all that great.
Second, I think the movie really gets to how boring it must have been for him. Five days hugging a rock with nothing to do except chip away at it is pretty boring.
The third and most impressive thing I that made me go WOW was the last bit of the movie, the part where he chops his arm off. That in itself would've been so painful I think that guy deserves a medal or something. Not only that but he also had to do it with a tiny crappy knife AND break his arm as well. And then there are all the other things you don't usually consider when you have to cut off your arm, like how you have to cut your tendons, and because your probably tensing really really hard the pain would have multiplied. And how did those make-up/special effects people get the actor's arm to look like it was actually being cut. I'm pretty sure there were trick angles being used somewhere but it was pretty realistic.
Ok so he's cut off his arm. Then he has to walk for like a few hours to get to his bike. And his bike is four hours away from his car...by bike. Which would mean that he would have to walk (I think it would be too much to ask for him to ride his bike with one arm) probably like 8 hours. That alone would have probably been able to make me give up.

This movie made me really think hard about the value of my arms and really puts a movie about a guy who gets over a speech impediment into perspective.

Also looking forward to watching Source Code

That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This movie to me was like eye opening, I loved it so much I even went out to buy it. James Franco is not only one of my fav's but the story of how tough it would have been to be inn that situation. Lots of people keep telling me first thing they would have cut their arm. I don't think they would be able to. It's just your will to live.