Wednesday, November 24, 2010

WEDNESDAY

Busy from exams so here's some stuff I read in the news.

If you saw the news this morning you may have heard that there was a massive stampede in Cambodia. It was during a major festival held annually in their capital city Phnom Phen and hundreds of people were cramped on a bridge. For reasons unknown, panic erupted and over 300 people were killed in the stampede.

When I read this, my first reaction was to laugh. How does something like this even happen? You can't really imagine the tragedy and feel sympathetic for something this ridiculous. It's like when you see old photos of the Holocaust, its hard to feel sorry for the Jews because you become desensitised to the piles and piles of barely human-looking bodies.

Anyway, I read on and there were some stories of individual tragedies. Most of the victims were young 18-24 year old girls and there were many grieving mothers. Afterwards, I did feel pretty bad about the whole thing which is why I was compelled to write this post. 300 is a lot of people dead. To put it in perpsective, I barely have 300 Facebook friends.

On a lighter topic, I also saw a picture of this in the newspaper, which I thought was the coolest thing ever.


Also, apparently there's someone in our school called 'Stan Lee'. If anyone knows/sees him, you can tell him he has an awesome name.

No comments: