Monday, March 28, 2011

English

People often say that maths (like integration and stuff) is useless because we will never use it in our daily lives, and because we'll never go to Mathland where the language is math. True. But math enthusiasts have presented a good comeback in saying that math teaches us reasoning skills and logic, which it does (okay some of the topics don't do that at all but things like math induction and circle geometry do, plus theres superannuation questions which we do use in our lives). So now i know there's a point in doing math. OK. Fine.

But what about English? It was probably while writing my 3U essay and thinking how I didn't think Lost in Translation was about navigating the global at all (I thought it was about two people who coincidentally meet and are in the same predicament and are able to understand one another but that's beside the point). While writing this essay, I thought how close it came to ruining my entire enjoyment of the film (I actually really liked it when I watched even before we had to) but luckily I watched it again and thought it was still really good. OK this is getting off topic. My point is that when are we ever, EVER going to use the skills in English in our daily lives? It's not like we're going to go to the cinema and say "Oh hey, look at that use of lighting symbolizing his salvation from his own crisis of identity in a globalized world". And would we ever write an essay after high school? Ever? Personally I think that English in primary school was a lot more useful. We wrote how to write a letter, we learnt vocabulary, we learnt actual grammar, stuff we actually use. But maybe there are reasons to English that we learn in high school. Point them out for me in the cbox.

In short, I think English in high school is not very useful. I mean, it's not like we're ever going to go to England is it?

Office Quote of the Day: Now that I own the building I'm looking for new sources of revenue. And a daycare center...? Muahahahahahahahaha... [pause] Well I guess it's not an evil idea it's just a regular idea but, there's no good laugh for a regular idea.

P.S. OK really i made this post just so I could include that Simpsons reference because I laughed really hard at it when I saw it on YouTube today.

That is all.

No comments: