Sunday, February 20, 2011

Things I care about

I have just realised that having actual titles for my posts means I don't have as much freedom to go off on tangents if I want to make sense. This sucks because now I have to put more thought into what I will write about. Who knew that blogging needed to be so structured?

Anyway, here are my thoughts on a few things which all fall under the vague title of 'Things I care about.'

Below is an interview of Citizen Kane director Orson Welles, in which he describes a lifetime of trying to prove Hollywood wrong as "an enormous waste of spirit and an enormous waste of energy." According to the uploader, this interview was done 8 days before his death. (He died suddenly from a heart attack.) I find it very tragic that someone could describe their life in such a way. This guy made what is widely considered the greatest movie of all time and in return was hounded by the American film industry.


I want to take advantage of this sudden interest in gender issues at our school to mention my own thoughts on the matter. For a while now, I've kept a mild interest in gender equality (for both women and men). When Treskin made her speech at assembly last week I decided to listen with an open mind and found she raised points worth considering. When we use words like 'man' and 'mankind' to refer to the human race we imply it was men alone who determined the actions of our race and that it will always be this way. Of course, there are downsides to modifying our vocabulary in the name of political correctness. Sometimes, it just isn't worth it. I don't think anyone plans on following guys with gals anytime soon. (I hate that word by the way.) But it is always worth considering.

More importantly, I believe that gender equality is a topic we should treat with thoughtfulness rather than the apathy or even derision it frequently receives.

And now for something completely different, I also care about the upcoming Crysis 2 PC multiplayer demo, which looks awesome. Also, I watched Cinema Paradiso and found it to be my favourite movie I've seen for a while.

No comments: