Monday, March 5, 2012

My first week of uni!

I wasn't excited to start university. It's true that during the holidays I started to feel like four months was too long a break for anybody and that my life seemed like one big waste of time. But on the day before my first day of uni, as I set my alarm to go off at 6:40 in the morning, I suddenly appreciated all the good things about sitting at home with nothing to do.

Uni is not so bad. I've made this joke so many times that doing UNSW medicine is like going back to Ruse and it's quite true because I spend all day hanging out with Ruse people. That might seem a bit antisocial but my reasoning is why make new friends when you have so many perfectly good ones already? I admit that this isn't a great attitude though because everyone else tries to make new friends so I probably don't come across as a nice person.

The first two days were boring as hell because it was all introductions outlining the course. Some days we get four hour breaks and we hang out in one of the study rooms in the library. These ridiculously long breaks can get as boring as class which is why Luan screwed up my Facebook and made the last post. Things got better when we actually started learning things. In the first week we started learning anatomy, histology and cell biology, most of which were interesting enough. 

We had a practical where we got to see the cadavers for the first time. Someone told me that every year, someone faints on seeing the cadavers and I didn't believe him until we did the practical and someone actually fainted. The cadavers were chemically preserved so the body parts didn't look very human at first. But then we saw the head which was split vertically with an eye and ear still intact and also the arms and legs which had the skin removed except for at the fingertips which still had fingernails attached. I didn't actually feel hungry from the smells (apparently formaldehyde stimulates appetite) though that might have been because I ate beforehand.

I watched Love Never Dies with Wilson and a whole bunch of other people (Wilson organised it). Being the eager person I am, I was the first one there so I went to Galaxy World with Wilson and kicked his ass at everything we played. The musical was pretty cool at first because I've never watched a professional musical before and seen such spectacular sets and stage effects. In the end though, I didn't like it as much as I had hoped.

1 comment:

Potato said...

i don't know about love never dies
but phantom of the opera was godly beyond compare
holy balls